Brown Rice pudding with home made coconut Milk






Wish you all Happy Pongal/Makara Sankranthi!!  (Little late in posting. Excuse me for being late)

Like every year this year also we celebrated Pongal with yummy dishes. Today's post is one of those yummy recipes using my new kitchen gadget(Vitamix).

Over the weekend I dared to buy one more gadget (Vitamix) to my kitchen. It is the most expensive kitchen gadget I ever bought. Hopefully it is worth the money. I am impressed with its quality and speed. Let's see how much I will utilize.

For now I utilized this gadget to make smoothies and tried to make coconut milk. I am just super impressed with coconut milk in just 1 mt.  I used to make coconut milk using my indian blender which used to take more than 10 mts to blend and preparation time of cutting coconut into small pieces to take more than 15 mts. Total time approximately 30 mts.
Using vitamix I didn't have to cut coconut into small pieces.  I just used big pieces of coconut and still blended into smooth milk. Total time less than 5 mts.

Coming to today's recipe, very simple and yet delicious.

_DSC0323

Hurry My vitamix:

_DSC0304

Ingredients:

1/2 cup brownrice
1/2 cup moong dal (split green gram lentil) (if you do not want to use lentil add 1/2 cup rice)
3 cups of fresh coconut milk/ milk (You can substitute with any milk)
3/4 cup sugar or jaggery (I used organic sugar)
1/4tsp cardamom powder
roasted nuts and raisins (optional)


Coconut milk:

1 medium sized coconut (remove the coconut meat and cut into chunks).

In a blender add coconut and water till all the coconut immersed in water. blend into smooth milk and strain the fibers using strainer or cheese cloth. What left is yummy coconut milk.


Procedure/Process:

In a rice cooker add washed rice and dal and add 3 cups of coconut milk. Cook for 5 whisltes.  If you are using electric rice cooker use the rice setting and cook till rice is cooked.
Once cooker is cooled add cooked rice in heavy bottomed vessel. Check the consisteny of the rice.
If it is too thick add water/milk , sugar and cardamom powder and let it cook on low heat for 5 to 6 mts. Once rice cooked in sugar give a taste test on sweetness and adjust as per your taste.
Remove from heat and garnish with roasted nuts and raisins.  (You can dry roast nuts or roast using 1 tsp of ghee.) I love nuts in my pudding so I added a lot :)

Consistency : it should not be too thick nor too thin. It should be creamy (This is my preference. if you like more thinner version add more milk or water)

Yummy pudding is ready to be served. You can either serve hot or chilled.

_DSC0324








0 comments:

Post a Comment