Information about Gongura:
Gongura is a leafy vegetable which is very rich in Iron, vitamins and anti-oxidants. Gongura comes in two varieties, green stemmed leaf and red stemmed. The red stemmed variety is sourer than the green stemmed variety. Gongura is also known as Andhra Maatha (Mother of Andhra Food). Guntur city in Andhra produces a good quality Gongura.
Gongura Pickle is quintessentially Andhra Cuisine.
You can visit wikipedia for more information.
Gongura is known as Sorrel leaves in English.
Pulicha Keerai in Tamil.
Gongura in Telugu.
Pandi in Kannada.
Gongura Ela in Malayalam
Pitwa in Hindi.
I never met any Andhra Person who doesn't like Gongura pickle. Being in US I cannot enjoy this vegetable through out the year unlike in India. Summer is the only time we get this vegetable in US. So I thoroughly enjoy the whole summer with this vegetable making Gongura Pappu/Dal, Gongura Pachhadi and the list goes on...
Yesterday night I was craving for this spicy pickle, so without even taking more time I started making the pickle/pachhadi.
This recipe is from my mom. She is great in making this pickle. I can never get the same taste as she does. There is some magic in her hands. :)
This is very simple to make and very delicious.
1 bunch of Gongura. (Remove the leaves).
15 Red chilies (Adjust as per your taste. This pachhadi should be spicy so I used 15 red chilies. :) )
1/4 tsp of Fenugreek seeds
pinch of hing
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
salt to taste
2tbsp of oil
1. Remove the gongura leaves, clean them with water and dry them in sun. (If you want to store this pickle for more than a month then the leaves should dry in Sun for atleast 2days .)
2. Heat a pan add 1tbsp of oil. Add hing, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and redchilies. Once mustard seeds starts popping up remove it from pan and keep it aside.
3. In the same pan fry the dried gongura leaves for 5-6 mts.
Fried Spices :
4. Once the mixture(chili,fenugreek,mustard seeds mixture) cools down make a powder using blender/mixer.
5. Now add the fried gongura leaves and salt and blend so that gongura leaves nicely blended with the spices.
For Garnish: Toss the garlic flakes and mustard seeds in 1 tbps of oil.
Garnish the pickle with tossed garlic flakes(optional) and mustard seeds.
The delicious Gongural Pickle is ready to be served with hot rice.
Eat this rice with ghee or oil and fresh onions . I really feel like I am in heaven when I eat this and you will feel the same too !
Note: For storing the pickle for longer time add more oil .
Closeup shot of Pickle:
I have been taged by Sashree to answer these questions. Thanks Sashree.
1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATER?
2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING?
Break all the rules
3) FAVORITE BOARD GAME?
4) FAVORITE MAGAZINE?
Don’t like magazines.
5) FAVORITE SMELLS?
I like lot of smells for example Jasmine, Lavendar, Sanna Jaji, Vira jaji. I am going to stop for now , or else the list can go pretty long.
6) FAVORITE SOUNDS?
Music, infants laugh
7) WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?
When my loved ones are sick.
8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE?
What to make for my daughter’s lunch box.
9) FAVORITE FAST FOOD PLACE?
Subway, Cold Stone Creamery
10) FUTURE CHILD'S NAME?
I am fine with one.
11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—’IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D’
I will make sure my daughter gets everything whatever she needs.
12)DO YOU DRIVE FAST?
I used to drive fast but not recently. But I love to drive fast.
13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?
14)STORMS–COOL OR SCARY?
15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?
16) FAVORITE DRINK?
Coffee. I cannot imagine my day without coffee.
17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…
Plan to do more hobbies like gardening, Stitching, making ear rings, chains and all…..
18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI?
Yes in Thai Fried rice
19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE?
20) NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS U HAVE LIVED IN?
Vizag, Hyderabad, Mumbai, USA
21) FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
I know her through blogging. She has a very nice blog.
23) WHATS UNDER YOUR BED?
My cell phone for my morning alarm.
24) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN??
If there is rebirth then yes.
25) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL?
Both. I usually sleep very late.
26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP?
27) FAVORITE PLACE TO RELAX?
My home and beach.
28) FAVORITE PIE?
I don’t like pie. I am a spice lover.
29) FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR?
30) OF ALL THE PEOPLE U HAVE TAGGED, WHO IS THE MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND FIRST?
Everyone is busy in the current world so whenever they get time they will respond.
Sashree tagged again for few more questions. Here are the answers.
Thanks once again Sashree.
What are five things on my to-do list for today (non-work related)?
Dinner Plans (What to cook)
Take my daughter to her classes
Have some nice tea in the evening with Salsa chips.
Enjoy cartoon serials
What are five snacks I enjoy?
What things would I do if I were a billionaire?
hmmm. I know this will never happen in my life time. So no plans.
It is my time to tag:
Sharmila from Kichu Khon
Amrutha from Chef n Me
JZ from Tasty Treats
Sunshinemom from Tongue Ticklers