Gongura Pickle

Today I am going to talk about my all time favorite pickle Gongura Pickle. Before I talk more about this pickle, I would like pass little bit information about the vegetable which is used in this pickle.




Information about Gongura:


Gongura is a leafy vegetable which is very rich in Iron, vitamins and anti-oxidants. Gongura comes in two varieties, green stemmed leaf and red stemmed. The red stemmed variety is sourer than the green stemmed variety. Gongura is also known as Andhra Maatha (Mother of Andhra Food). Guntur city in Andhra produces a good quality Gongura.

Gongura Pickle is quintessentially Andhra Cuisine.

You can visit wikipedia for more information.


Gongura is known as Sorrel leaves in English.
Pulicha Keerai in Tamil.
Gongura in Telugu.
Pandi in Kannada.
Gongura Ela in Malayalam
Pitwa in Hindi.

I never met any Andhra Person who doesn't like Gongura pickle. Being in US I cannot enjoy this vegetable through out the year unlike in India. Summer is the only time we get this vegetable in US. So I thoroughly enjoy the whole summer with this vegetable making Gongura Pappu/Dal, Gongura Pachhadi and the list goes on...

Yesterday night I was craving for this spicy pickle, so without even taking more time I started making the pickle/pachhadi.

This recipe is from my mom. She is great in making this pickle. I can never get the same taste as she does. There is some magic in her hands. :)

This is very simple to make and very delicious.


Ingredients:

1 bunch of Gongura. (Remove the leaves).
15 Red chilies (Adjust as per your taste. This pachhadi should be spicy so I used 15 red chilies. :) )
1/4 tsp of Fenugreek seeds
pinch of hing
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
salt to taste
2tbsp of oil

Gongura Leaves:




Preparation:

1. Remove the gongura leaves, clean them with water and dry them in sun. (If you want to store this pickle for more than a month then the leaves should dry in Sun for atleast 2days .)
2. Heat a pan add 1tbsp of oil. Add hing, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and redchilies. Once mustard seeds starts popping up remove it from pan and keep it aside.
3. In the same pan fry the dried gongura leaves for 5-6 mts.

Fried Spices :




Fried Gongura:



4. Once the mixture(chili,fenugreek,mustard seeds mixture) cools down make a powder using blender/mixer.

5. Now add the fried gongura leaves and salt and blend so that gongura leaves nicely blended with the spices.

For Garnish: Toss the garlic flakes and mustard seeds in 1 tbps of oil.

Garnish the pickle with tossed garlic flakes(optional) and mustard seeds.

The delicious Gongural Pickle is ready to be served with hot rice.
Eat this rice with ghee or oil and fresh onions . I really feel like I am in heaven when I eat this and you will feel the same too !

Note: For storing the pickle for longer time add more oil .


Closeup shot of Pickle:




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me Me:

I have been taged by Sashree to answer these questions. Thanks Sashree.


1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATER?
Kungfu Panda

2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING?
Break all the rules

3) FAVORITE BOARD GAME?
Caroms

4) FAVORITE MAGAZINE?
Don’t like magazines.

5) FAVORITE SMELLS?
I like lot of smells for example Jasmine, Lavendar, Sanna Jaji, Vira jaji. I am going to stop for now , or else the list can go pretty long.

6) FAVORITE SOUNDS?
Music, infants laugh

7) WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?
When my loved ones are sick.

8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE?
What to make for my daughter’s lunch box.

9) FAVORITE FAST FOOD PLACE?
Subway, Cold Stone Creamery

10) FUTURE CHILD'S NAME?
I am fine with one.

11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—’IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D’
I will make sure my daughter gets everything whatever she needs.

12)DO YOU DRIVE FAST?
I used to drive fast but not recently. But I love to drive fast.

13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?
No.

14)STORMS–COOL OR SCARY?
Cool.

15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?
Toyota Camry

16) FAVORITE DRINK?
Coffee. I cannot imagine my day without coffee.

17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…
Plan to do more hobbies like gardening, Stitching, making ear rings, chains and all…..

18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI?
Yes in Thai Fried rice

19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE?
Burgundy.

20) NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS U HAVE LIVED IN?
Vizag, Hyderabad, Mumbai, USA

21) FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
Tennis, Cricket.

22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
I know her through blogging. She has a very nice blog.

23) WHATS UNDER YOUR BED?
My cell phone for my morning alarm.

24) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN??
If there is rebirth then yes.

25) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL?
Both. I usually sleep very late.

26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP?
Easy

27) FAVORITE PLACE TO RELAX?
My home and beach.

28) FAVORITE PIE?
I don’t like pie. I am a spice lover.

29) FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR?
Vanilla, Butterscotch.

30) OF ALL THE PEOPLE U HAVE TAGGED, WHO IS THE MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND FIRST?
Everyone is busy in the current world so whenever they get time they will respond.

Sashree tagged again for few more questions. Here are the answers.
Thanks once again Sashree.

What are five things on my to-do list for today (non-work related)?
Shopping
Dinner Plans (What to cook)
Take my daughter to her classes
Have some nice tea in the evening with Salsa chips.
Enjoy cartoon serials

What are five snacks I enjoy?

Mirchi Bajii
Pani Puri
Sev Puri
Onion Bajji,
Samosa Chat


What things would I do if I were a billionaire?

hmmm. I know this will never happen in my life time. So no plans.

It is my time to tag:

Sharmila from Kichu Khon
Amrutha from Chef n Me
JZ from Tasty Treats
Sunshinemom from Tongue Ticklers


34 comments:

  1. I am lucky to have her as my friend. I will taste this heavenly dish pretty soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amrutha. You can have it anytime.

    -Sailaja

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't use this greens in K'taka much. I do have bottled Gongura pickle here though, very tangy and very spicy!:D
    Looks great, love the photo of leaves!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asha,
    Yes most of the people doesn't know about this vegetable other than Andhra ppl. It got visibility throgh priya pickles to the rest of the world.

    Thanks for your lovely comments.

    -Sailaja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pics. Inspiring enough that i'm making the same tonight. I add a little bit of tamarind and for garnish i also add some cut green chilli (and onion sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks a lot for tagging me sailaja. i had done the same meme a week back, but i sure will mention that in my next post! :-)

    BTW, I enjoyed reading urs and particularly loved the answer to the question abt the being a billionaire! it was great!

    and the pickle sure is new to me...i am an ardent pickle lover :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks JZ.
    Oh I am not aware that u did already. Will read your answers.
    Thanks for responding so quickly.

    Try the pickle next time when u see this vegetable in shop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pickle looks great, this is new for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aaha gongura pickle mmm with hot wight rice and onion and a green chilli that makes my day if this pickle is there I dont want any thing that day

    ReplyDelete
  10. My chitti used to prepare this a lot. After that I have always purchased gongura from Priya. This one looks great. Lovely pics:) Thanks for tagging me to the me-me. Will do it soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Madhavi, Try once if you get this vegetable.

    Rekha,
    Yes I do the same if this pickle is there. I just don't eat anything other than this pickle rice.
    Thanks for your lovely comments.


    Sunshinemom,
    Thanks for your comments. I will wait for your meme.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!The recipes look delicious .. can you please tell me what is gongura known in hindi?
    And thanks for tagging me!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gongura is sooo yummy .. loved the pics .. A great combo with rice

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey sailu, theres something for u on my blog!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sharmila

    I searched in internet and found that it is called Pitwa in Hindi. Sorrel Leaves in English.
    Pulicha Keerai in Tamil .
    I hope this helps.

    Vegetable Platter,
    I don't know your name so addressing you with your blog name. Thanks for the comments.

    JZ,

    Thanks a lot for passing the award. I am really Flattered.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i haven't cook this green yet.Loved the store brought pickle though.Yous look YUM

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Anila I do use tamarind if the Gongura is not sour enoug especially when I make with green stemmed ones. Yes Green chily garnish looks awesome.

    Thanks Maheswari, If you find these greens try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. gongura is my fav of alll......but i never tryed at home..luved adding of garlic tooo..nice presentation

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sailaja,

    a surprise awaits you in my blog.

    love-Bhawana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Bhawana. I just got this award 2 weeks back but will mention in my next post.
    Thanks for thinking of me
    -Sailaja

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is one tangy dish that always has me tongue tied...I would love to eat this and now that you have given out this superb recipe, it is definitely a trying dish and of course mouth flooding!!

    Nice to read your memes' gives out a lot of small things I dont know :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Raki for your valuable comments. Whenever u do this pickle let me know how did it come out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. deleciousss pickle sailaja ,nice meme too

    ReplyDelete
  24. gongura pacchadi ullipaaya tho nanchukoni thinte adursu kadaa! Ee pachchadi chala baga chesaru, Sailaja! Yummy. bad luck I don't get these leaves in the place where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the comments Uma.
    Oh sorry to know that u cannot get these leaves. May be get the priya pickle

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had a friend from Andhra (Miriyalguda, to be precise). He introduced me to this wonderful pickle and since then, I enjoyed this thoroughly! But he never told me how to make it. So, thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. that was a nice meme to read sailu... and hey i have never heard of this .. dont run behind me for being so dumb... but will surely fetch some when i see them now on.. i love all greens...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have something for u, check out my blog :))

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks A&N. Surprise your andhra friend by making this recipe at home :)

    Hey Swati, lot of ppl don't know this green so don't worry. if you get it anytime let me know.


    Thanks Madhavi for thinking of me. Will post the award soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Sailaja,
    Your pictures make me crave for gongura pachadi. I've never seen it in the Indian grocery stores in US. Can you tell me where did you you get them? Also, what's the English name for gongura?

    ReplyDelete
  31. If I have gongura as paste instead of leaves, can you please tell me how I can use it for this recipe or any other recipe? Thank you sooooo much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gongura Pickle / Ambade ka achar is one of my favorite pickles. Especially the pickle made in Andhra style has an everlasting taste. Thank you for showing the delicious recipe. I will definitely try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete