Spring is here!! Warm weather means outdoor activities. With the weather getting warmer I take every opportunity to spend time outdoors. Over the weekend went for a nice long walk with my friend-cum-co-sister. Both of us went to farmers market and bought some fresh veggies. It is nice to be surrounded with family and friends.
Tonight's recipe is the result of the trip to the farmers market.
1 bunch swiss chard
1 tbsp tamarind juice or 1 tbsp lemon juice
Homemade Tamarind juice: 1 tbsp of dry tamarind soak in 1/4 cup of water for 15 mts and remove the juice while squeezing the pulp with your hands.
1 small onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chop
1tsp rice flour to thicken soup (optional)
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp oil
1/8 tsp of black pepper (as per your spice level)
red chili powder/paprika (as per your spice level)
salt as per taste
- Wash and remove the stems of the chard and finely chop.
- In a stock pot add oil, once oil is hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once mustard seeds starts spluttering add chopped onions and chopped garlic.
- Once onion turns translucent add spices and chopped greens
- Add water till the greens are sub merged in water. Approximately 4 to 5 cups of water.
- Let the greens cook. (Might take approximately 8 to 10 mts)
- Once greens are cooked add tamarind juice and cook for 2 mts. If you are using lemon juice add after removing from heat.
- If the soup is too thin mix rice flour in 1tbsp of water and add flour mixture to soup and let it cook for 5 mts. (Rice flour mixture helps to thicken the soup). This is truly optional depending on your choice
- Give a taste test and adjust spices and remove from heat.
- Enjoy hot with some crackers on side or with white rice