Last week our home refrigerator stopped working.I had to wait for 4 days till I get a new fridge. First task the moment I realized fridge is not working was cleanup. Cleaning fridge is a big task but I am glad that my habit of not storing food and making fresh food for every meal made me finish so quickly. No food wastage. Only problem I had was to finish vegetables quickly. One of the vegetable was Spinach. Made spinach rice one day and one day Aloo Palak.
Very simple to make and yet delicious with hot rotis.
2tbsp of oil
1 bunch of spinach/ 4 cups of baby spinach
2 medium sized potato cubed or any shape which you like
1 medium sized tomato (finely chopped)
1 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
2-3 green chilies
1tsp cumin powder
1tsp ginger garlic paste
1tsp coriander powder
pinch of turmeric powder
1tbsp red chilly powder
1tbsp whole garam masala (2 cloves, 1/4 inch Cinnamon stick,2 cardamoms)
(You can substitute with 1tbsp masala powder instead of whole garam masala)
Salt to taste
1. Blanch spinach and make a puree with green chilies in a mixer.
2. Stir fry cubed potatoes till they turn golden color. (You can skip this step if you want potatoes mushy)
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add whole garam masala, chopped onions, ginger garlic paste and salt (Salt helps to cook onions faster). Once onions turn golden color add cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder, turmeric powder.
4. Add chopped tomatoes. Once tomatoes are cooked completely in masala/spices add spinach paste.
5. Once spinach puree starts boiling add potato cubes. Cook for 5-6 mts on low heat. Give a taste test and adjust spices.
Turn off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander. Aloo Palak is ready to serve with nan/roti.