Rava Kesari (Semolina Halwa)

Some of my friends came up with an idea to organize a small group to perform Vishnu Sahasranama Parayanam every fortnight which we are following for last three months.
Most of the time I make Rava (semolina) Kesari as one of the prasadam item for this chanting, since it is easy to make and my daughter just love it. Today I made my favorite prasadam Rava Kesari along with Sundal(Garbanzo beans tossed in grated coconut).

Before I start writing about this recipe I would like to tell everyone the specialty of this prasadam. This prasadam basically offered for Lord Sri Veera Venkata Satyaranarayana Swamy. There is a place called Annavaram near Visakhapatnam where Satyanarayana Swamy temple is located. The prasadam which we get in that temple is little different than what we make at home. There is a notion that the taste of prasadam which we get it in Annavaram cannot be replicated. I believe that statement is true. Till now I never tasted that kind of prasadam anywhere else.

In our house every year we do Satyanarayana Swamy Vratham in Karthika masam (Typically karthikam starts in November). For this vratham we have to make rava kesari as naivedyam(prasadam). As a kid I always used to call this prasadam as Satyanarayana Swamy Prasadam since it is specially made on that day.

I never met nor heard who doesn't like this sweet. So try out this tasty and easiest recipe.

Ingredients:

1cup of suji/semolina/suji
11/2 cup of Sugar
5-6 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cardamom powder
1cup of milk
11/2cup of water
1tbsp of cashews
1tbsp of raisins


Preparation:

1. In a heavy bottomed vessel roast the suji with 1/2tsp of ghee.
2. Once the suji turns golden color remove and keep it in a separate bowl, mix it with sugar and cardamom powder. (This will prevent forming any lumps while cooking suji/rava)



3. In a pan fry the cashews and raisins in 1tbsp of ghee.

4. Add 11/2cup of water and 1 cup of milk in a vessel (you can use the same vessel which is used for roasting the suji) allow it to boil.

5. Once the water starts boiling add the suji mixture slowly. Stir the mixture while adding 2 tbsp of ghee. Turn it to low heat and cover it with lid. Keep stirring in between for every 2 mts to prevent burning.( This will take max 10 mts )


6. Once the suji is cooked add the remaining ghee on top of it. Keep it for 2 more mts and turn off the heat.
Garnish the kesari with fried cashews and raisins. The delicious sweet is ready to be served.



9 comments:

  1. hi sailaja,first time to ur blog.nice prasadam...yesterday only i made this..looks very delicious with cashews and raisains

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sashree thanks for visiting my blog and posting your comments. Yes kesari tastes more good with lots of raisins and cashews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi my first time here... nice post... all looks good..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi sailaja..I]ve tagged u for 10 picture meme..if ur interested u can participate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sashree
    Thansks for tagging me. I will try to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time here...I luv kesari..Looks tempting and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome and simple way of explain in the site.try it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUmVbuzzbD4

    ReplyDelete