Thotakoora Pidapa( Amaranth Leaves Stir Fry)

Thotakoora/Amaranth Leaves we get through out the year in India. I remember my mom used to make this curry more often at least 2 times in a month (She still does). Even though I always used to hate this curry, my mom used to make sure that I eat at least little bit since it is very healthy and rich in Vitamin A. But here in US we get these leaves only in summer. So I make sure to cook at least once in 2 weeks through out this season so that my daughter gets the habit of eating this vegetable. Unlike me my kid loves to eat this vegetable.

In our family this curry is known as Thotakoora pidapa. Most of the people in Andhra call this curry as Thotakoora Vepudu





Ingredients:


1bunch of Thotakoora/Amaranth Leaves
1 small tomato chopped finely
1small piece of ginger finely chopped
2 green chilies cut length wise (As per your spice level you can increase the chilies)
Salt to taste
1tbsp of oil
1tsp of mustard seeds
1tsp of Cumin seeds
1tsp of Urad Dal /Split Black Gram
3 red chilies







Preparation:


Wash the thotakoora and chop them(Don't chop too thin/small). Add 1tbsp oil in the pan, once the oil is hot add musturd seeds,cumin seeds, urad dal and red chilies. Once the mustard seeds starts popping add chopped ginger and green chilies. Then add chopped tomatos. Once the tomatoes lose the raw flavor add the chopped thotakoora and salt as per the taste. Cook for 5-6 mts without covering the lid to keep the green color of the vegetable.

Note:Green vegetables cook in very less time. Turn off the heat once thotakoora is cooked.


Healthy green leaves stir fry is ready to be served.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Sailu,thotakura vepudu is looking delicious.hmm...chala chala baavundi,amma has a different version,but this is looking gr.
    BTW something is waiting for u @my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy Saialja, I have planted some Amaranth ,waiting for the harvest!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Asha. Good luck with the harvest.
    Thanks Sashree.

    ReplyDelete